Pre-make you say?! That’s right. On Sunday evenings, I make four salads, in layers, in quart size Ball Jars. With the dressing, too!
It’s important to note, this works with glass jars only. I haven’t tried other solutions but what I was told was glass only, so I’ve stuck with it.
Ingredients (Yields: Four 1-quart salads):
– 3 Hearts of Romaine, chopped
– 1 Chicken grilled, grilled and chopped
– 2 Roma Tomatoes, chopped
– 4 Eggs, hardboiled and chopped
– 1 English cucumber, chopped
– 4 oz, crumbled bleu cheese
– 1 Avocado, cubed
– 6 Slices of Bacon, cooked and chopped
– 2 Tbsp Dressing of Choice
Prepare your vegetables by chopping, cutting, tearing – whatever is necessary to compile your salad. To layer into the jars follow this process specifically:
1. Dressing in the bottom of jar (try to keep it off the sides)
2. Add vegetables (cucumbers, tomato, avocado, etc)
3. Add meats (chicken, bacon, etc)
4. Add cheeses (see note!)
5. Pack with Lettuce (pack it in there!)
6. Add jar lid
I bring the bleu cheese in a small bag on the side. I find adding it to the jar makes everything smell, well – bleu cheesy.
When you’re ready to eat the salad, scoop out the lettuce onto your plate or in your bowl. Put the top back on and shake the jar to coat the vegetables and meats with dressing. Then add to your lettuce and top with bleu cheese!
You can adapt this for any type of salad. Just remember to layer in the same order as above!