I love The Biggest Loser show on NBC. There’s something about people changing their lives for the healthier that I enjoy watching. After one of the first or second seasons, the show put out a cook book. And some of those recipes are AWESOME!
Kind of like mexican pizzas, which combines two of my favorite things! This recipe is no exception: Southwest Chicken Pileups
- 1 tsp Southwest Seasoning
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 whole-wheat pita (no pocket)
- 2 Tbsp roasted red pepper hummus
- 2 Tbsp black beans
- red onion strips (optional)
- red bell pepper strips (optional)
- 2 Tbsp chopped roma tomato
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- 2 Tbsp shredded cheddar cheese
- Guacamole/ Light sour cream, if desired
Preheat oven to 450
Sprinkle Southwest seasoning and garlic over chicken breast and grill. Once cooked, chop chicken into bite sized pieces and set aside.
Put your pita on a cookie sheet. Spread the hummus evenly over the pita (like a sauce). Top with beans, cooked chicken, onion, red pepper, tomato, cilantro and cheese.
Bake in the oven for 6-8 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Let stand for a few minutes then slice into four wedges. Top with guacamole and/or sour cream and serve!
- This recipe is for one pita, which is a single serving. Simply increase the ingredients to make more!
- I don’t include onion or peppers on mine, just because we don’t prefer those
- Also, I top with fresh avocado instead of guacamole, again because of preference.
- The original recipe calls to grill the pita first, to lightly toast it.
Recipe Adapted from Source: The Biggest Loser Cookbook, p. 170